Dad put together a family reunion for my 2nd great grandfather - William Henry Harrison Shuck in Phoenix. I was able to meet other Shuck relatives there for the first time. The story of why we spell our last names differently is interesting. My gg-grandfather always seemed to spell his name without the c - SHUCK. However he died at a rather young age, and when his spouse filled out the records for his civil war pension - she spelled it the German way SCHUCK. During World War I some of my relatives temporarily changed the spelling back to SHUCK so as to avoid any confusion of their Americanism (our original American ancestory Johannes Martin SHUCK/SCHUCK/SCHOCK fought in the revolutionary war - so we're pretty American). Some of the family still keeps that spelling. Going back through the history of the line - the SHUCK spelling is used by almost everybody - except my immediate family.
It was great to spend a few hours in the park with 2nd and 3rd cousins. They were all great people. I wish we had more time together.
No comments:
Post a Comment