Saturday, October 31, 2009

Halloween race

Well,

Today is Halloween. The girls are off with friends - still pretending they are young enough to trick or treat. Sonora is a hobo and Katie is a kinda boar thingy with long silver and black hair. She made the mask out of latex - sculpted the thing and made a cast etc. I'll post a picture eventually.

Noone comes trick or treating where we live - so it was quiet here.

Today was a 10k race in the area (that's 6.2 miles). I set a goal of doing this race. In addition to just being an ambitious goal, there were some major side benefits. One was that prior to race day - the medical center was hosting a free fitness test and the other that there were $10,000 worth of door prizes (I didn't win any - but hey - I had a chance - right?). The free fitness testing thing was OK - but nothing real special.

Anyway, I've never run a 10k race before - and I was a little nervous that I could run that far. 2 weeks ago - I did a 4 mile race - and finished it - but was real tuckered out by the end. I took a vacation day on Tuesday and went running at Mammoth Cave - I like to do that each year. This year has been really rainy - and not conducive to hiking. The leaves changed real rapidly and now they are all falling off unfortunately. I ran for 90 minutes at Mammoth Cave and did maybe 8 miles. My legs and knees were sore the next day but recovered well enough. I figured that if I could run 8 miles on a bunch of hills on a gravel trail, I could do 6 miles on the streets.

There were LOTS of people in the race - my number was 1411 - and I saw some people that had numbers as high as 1700. All I know is that after they fired the starting shot, it took me 30 seconds just to get to the starting line and that it was constant people all the way across the street for a huge part of the run.

Some people ran in costume (not me - I would really overheat if I tried that). The guy right behind me was dressed as frankenstein - green painted face - wig - costume the whole thing. You can see him from the back a few seconds behind me in the video. Everyone erupted in cheers when he ran by (I wasn't under any illusion they were cheering me on - though we were so close it seemed like it)

I finished in just under 60 minutes which was my ambitious goal (I would have been happy with any thing under 65 minutes and thrilled with under 58). I got real tired after about mile 5, and was worried about making it, but got a second wind as I saw we were getting closer to the finish line.


5k season is about over until the spring, so no more races for a while.

Happy Halloween.

No comments: