The barbershop chorus I've joined sang at a competition a few weeks ago. We're a pretty small chorus - and though I thought we did pretty well, the judges didn't like it as much.
Singing barbershop is a surprisingly difficult musical form. It requires precise tuning and vowel pronunciation. On top of that, it's a visual entertainment art form as well - and so one needs to move and gesture appropriately. My chorus could improve on that.
Here is our song set. The first one is called "Let the rest of the world go by". It's a ballad about going out west with the one you love. The second song is an upbeat song called "Little Patch of Heaven" I believe the song originally came from a Disney movie called home on the range - a cartoon. It was rearranged in a barbershop arrangement by one of the better arrangers out there Aaron Dale. It has a similar moving out west theme to it. I'm off in the far right side at the top. It looked and sounded a lot better in person. It was a load of fun to do and I hope to have the opportunity of doing things like this in the future. The particular stage we performed on was very hard to hear on. It made it hard to keep the whole group in tune with eachother.
Below is a link to the chorus that won 1st place in the competition. These guys only take the best and members commute a lengthy distance to participate. I believe they won 6th place in the international competition in July. They are top notch and hard core.
No comments:
Post a Comment