Well - this bears some explaining..
Many years ago - around 1977 if I had to guess - Mother decided she would do something nice for us and make us special Christmas stockings. We got to design our own stockings - nothing standard like a plain old sock would do for us..
Matt and I had these really cool shark shirts - Matt ended up with a Shark stocking. It was really something special. Don't know what Santa thought of putting toys and candy in a shark - but hey - he left stuff there anyway.
I think Rebecca had a raggedy Ann doll type of stocking - don't remember as it didn't make a huge impression - but it was girlie. She was at most 5 years old.
One of my younger siblings had a coloring book at the time - being 9 or so I was far too old for coloring books myself! In the coloring book was a rather rotund looking bigfoot like creature walking through the woods with the caption "Hairy Wumpus". He wasn't very scary - in fact he kind of looked like a hairy pillsbury doughboy. Nevertheless, he became the model upon which my most awesome stocking was to be based.
Mother did marvelously and Hairy Wumpus was the envy of every kid who managed to catch a glimpse of him (I think in retrospect they may have been even more impressed with the shark). He had sleek red fur and bright green eyes. A rather marvelous stocking.
Hairy is over 30 now - he's definitely getting over the hill. He lost an eye somewhere, not exactly sure where or when, but I think it just lends more character. Santa doesn't bother leaving anything in Hairy anymore - but he usually gets to hang out for a few weeks around Christmas for memory sake.
Merry Christmas.
1 comment:
Harry Wumpus is looking rough. I still have my reindeer and he seems to be in a little better shape. Allene wanted to get rid of it a few years ago and give me a traditional stocking, but I veto'd it.
Post a Comment