(for those confused on who Hairy Wumpus is - look down a couple of posts for a complete history)
WKU sits atop a hill in the middle of the city and students there are known as "Hill Toppers" - yes I know - it inspires nearly as much fear into opponents as "Corn Huskers" but at least the Corn Huskers in Nebraska do pretty well in their sports. - not that sports are really all that important. (I'm not sure how they are in academics though, I've heard one story that the "N" on their otherwise unadorned football helmets stands for Nowledge)
A lot of our family dollars go to WKU and we've earned a few dollars working for WKU.
So how does one make a mascot for a Hill Topper. Well - they didn't really try. They made up the mascot "Big Red", which is kind of a hairy red blobby fellow.
Little did I know as a 9 year old that my stocking would end up looking like the mascot of my adopted home town... Makes you wonder



No comments:
Post a Comment