Like most of the part of the country where I live, we've had an incredibly mild winter. We only had one snow of consequence, and it was a wimpy snow. No days of multiple sub freezing temperatures. Quite amazing really. At the beginning of winter, I built some little tents to go over some of my cold weather vegetables. Remarkably some have survived all winter long. Here is how it's looking now:
Chard - it's lasted all winter long, we planted this 10 months ago. Just a little plastic tent is all it took.

Kale loves the cold, I didn't even put it under a tent, I just threw a tarp over it whenever it got below freezing at night.

Chives. Wonderful stuff for cooking. I actually planted this 4 years ago, and have moved it 3 times now. I'll move this one in a few weeks to the herb garden by the house.

Greek oregano - very happy after being in a tent all winter.

Snow Peas - I actually planted these a few weeks back.

The rosemary really liked the tent. This rosemary survived last winter too, but I just put a bunch of leaves around it and a translucent waste basket over it that winter. It was very sad looking a year ago. This is very healthy rosemary. I used some in soup last night. I plan on transplanting it to the herb garden by the house.

The pear tree in bloom.

Just a pretty flower.

And a yellow bush

More chard - a different set of it.

Winter savory - this is already in the herb garden, it just survived the winter.

Chinese chives. They are very happy.

Parsley. Most of the parsley bolted pretty quick last year, I just kept cutting it back. Evidently, it's a cold weather type of plant. I didn't do anything to the parsley this winter.

This is some kind of bitter leaf salad stuff - it's really bitter. It survived the winter with no attention.

More happy parsley.

The real garden isn't even out yet, but looks like we've got a good head start.
No comments:
Post a Comment